Heineken® has unveiled the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour in the USA. Since 2007, Heineken has brought this iconic trophy to fans in Africa, Latin America and Asia. This year, U.S. fans will get to experience the passion of the UEFA Champions League with a rare chance to get close with the ultimate prize.
Beginning on March 19th, the tour will give fans over legal drinking age in New York City, Dallas and Los Angeles the opportunity to snap a selfie with one of the world’s most celebrated trophies, view an interactive UEFA Champions League exhibit featuring legendary game-worn gear and meet some of the tournament’s biggest stars. Fans can follow #ChampionTheTrophy on Twitter to stay up-to-date on the Trophy Tour experience as it travels across the U.S.
“We know there are passionate football fans all around the world who don’t always have the chance to experience the excitement of the UEFA Champions League in person,” said Hans Erik Tuijt, Global Activation Director, Heineken.
“With the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour, we’re bringing the energy of the tournament from Europe, directly to U.S. fans. Heineken provides football fans around the world with extraordinary experiences, and we’ll continue to entertain and amaze as we get closer to the UEFA Champions League Final in Berlin on June 6th.”
Guy-Laurent Epstein, Head of Marketing and Sponsorship, UEFA said: “The UEFA Champions League is the pinnacle of European club football and followed passionately by football fans across the globe. With The UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour presented by Heineken, we’re showcasing the global reach of the tournament while rewarding the dedication of US fans by taking the trophy directly to them.”
On March 18th football legend, and 2005 UCL trophy winner, Jerzy Dudek, will be on hand to welcome the trophy stateside and take part in a #ChampionTheMatch live Twitter chat during a crucial Champions League match between FC Barcelona and Manchester City FC. The Trophy Tour will kick off publicly for fans the following day.
The schedule of the 2015 UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour presented by Heineken is:
- March 19: New York City at Skylight Modern with special guests Jerzy Dudek and Rivaldo
- April 17 – 18: Dallas at Klyde Warren Park with special guests Patrick Kluivert and Éric Abidal
- April 21-22: Los Angeles at Siren Studios – The Cube, with special guests Fernando Morientes and Michel Salgado
#CHAMPIONTHEMATCH ELEVATES MATCH DAY:
#ChampionTheMatch is an immersive entertainment platform that taps into fans’ match day rituals. It supports fan behaviour of using social media platforms to talk about the game, and stretches through pre-game build up, the action itself and into the post-match debate – with highly engaging and shareable content created throughout. During the tournament, UCL champions such as Ruud Gullit, Patrick Kluivert and others will take over the @Heineken Twitter handle and engage with fans using the hashtag #ChampionTheMatch
- Heineken® has been a proud partner of UEFA Champions League since 2005
- Heineken® will be bringing its sponsorship to over 220 countries and territories via marketing and PR efforts
- The UEFA Champions League is enjoyed by over 4.2 billion people around the world
- Since 2007 the UCL Trophy Tour presented by Heineken has visited 26 countries in Africa, Asia, North and South America
- Heineken® sponsorship is scheduled to run until the end of the 2017/18 season